Lemon Drizzle Cake
2 free-range eggs
170g (⅞ cup) unrefined caster sugar
170g (¾ cup) unsalted butter, softened
A pinch of salt
170g (1 ⅓ cups) self-raising flour
Zest and juice from 2 unwaxed lemons
90g (⅔ cup) icing sugar, sieved
Individual paper loaf moulds, available from all good supermarkets.
For the sponge:
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F, gas mark 3).
- Place the individual loaf moulds on to a flat, heavy-duty baking tray and leave to one side until required.
- Place the softened butter in an electric mixer bowl fitted with the whisk attachment. Add the remaining ingredients into the bowl and mix on speed 2 for three minutes until all the ingredients are fully incorporated and aerated. Divide evenly between the loaf moulds.
- Place on the middle shelf of the preheated oven and bake for about 15 minutes, or until the sponge turns golden brown and springs back when touched.
For the lemon drizzle:
- Place the lemon juice and the sieved icing sugar into a pan and simmer for a couple of minutes or until translucent in appearance. Brush over the lemon cakes as soon as they come out of the oven so that the liquid soaks evenly throughout the cake.