Queen Victoria's Bow Brooches were among the pieces of jewellery made for Queen Victoria in 1858, following the loss of her grandmother Queen Charlotte's jewels (which included her diamond bows) to the King of Hanover. The new brooches, of much livelier outline than Queen Charlotte's rather stiff and flat bows, were made using the Queen's own stones - 497 brilliants and nine roses - taken from redundant jewelled pieces in her collection. They were left by Queen Victoria a an heirloom of the Crown, and thus passed in 1901 to Queen Alexandra and in 1910 to Queen Mary. Queen Mary tended to wear all three in a vertical row (for example at her coronation in 1911, as Queen Alexandra had done in 1902), and, on occasions, with the 94.4 carat Cullinan III suspended from the top brooch, and two smaller pear-shaped drops from the other two. Queen Elizabeth, to whom they passed in 1936, usually worn them singly, as does The Queen, who inherited them in 1952.
Set with sparkling crystals on white gold plated metal.
6 x 4 cm.